Sunday, April 12, 2009

I will try to find my place

IN THE DIARY OF JAAAAAANE!!!!

I love that song. Go listen to it if you haven't already. Oh my god. *loves*
(Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin)

So, Happy Easter! Hope everyone is having a great holiday! Ironically I'm listening to my "Blake Playlist" (Blake is a character in my book) and so the songs are super dark, i.e. Pain by Three Days Grace, Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin, Forgotten by Avril Lavigne.... oh, irony.

I'm actually extremely happy when I listen to this music. It just makes me feel so GOOD to listen to that crazy rock/metal/whatever music.

In other news, I have a rant.
There's this girl in my movie class who hasn't read Twilight "because all the stupid preppy girls are obsessed with it". I mean, I know that those girls are irritating and not who smart people want to be. But is that a good reason not to read a book? A girl I don't really like loves Harry Potter. Does that mean *I* shouldn't have read the books? No, it does not.

And I'm sick of people on Nerdfighters.com acting like people can't be nerds/smart and like Twilight without mocking it. I love Twilight. I don't dislike a single book in the series. Even though I complain about Bella and how stupid everything is, I don't really feel that way; I feel like I was pressured to do that because awesome people I love (fiveawesomegirls, my best friends, ect.) were doing it.
But here's the thing. Bella can be a bit annoying, but I actually really like her. Edward... eh. But again, I like him most of the time. I love Jacob and all the Cullens and werewolves (well I don't like Rosalie... but that's it.)

Does this make me less intelligent, because I really love those books? I don't think Stephenie Meyer is a bad author either. Yes, Twilight had plot holes and confusing parts. But so did Harry Potter, and it is an brilliant book series! Twilight has a lot of haters and people who "like the book" but bitch about how much it sucks all the time. Well, I'd like to see them write 4 Harry-Potter-and-the-Goblet-of-Fire-sized books and remember everything perfectly before they complain about her.

I've read the Host, and it is a BRILLIANT book, one of my favorites ever. I love it. Stephenie wrote it, and it's great. So you can't say she's a "bad author" just because you don't necessarily like Twilight for whatever reason.

Let's say you think I'm one of those people who obviously doesn't pay attention to books if I think Twilight is a well-written book. Okay, well, I've read all seven Harry Potter books, the Catcher in the Rye, Slaughterhouse-Five, all the John Green books, Feed, and who knows how many others I've read in my life. I know for a fact that I'm not being a shallow reader. I enjoy the style of Twilight. A lot.

Does this make me "not a nerd"? I don't believe so. I love math, I love reading, I love learning new things, and I care about the environment and believe in equality in marriage; I want to know what's going on in the world. I have complete confidence that I am an intelligent person.

So, my point is this: I think people who insist that Twilight is crap (or any book for that matter) shouldn't try to force their opinion on others. And if they are going to explain why they don't like it, try using an intelligent explanation, i.e. "I don't like first person set ups" or "I found the characters too shallow/I didn't like the plot" ect. People are fully willing to discuss books they like and dislike. But when I read "Bella's a bitch" all over the place, I really start to wonder if there couldn't be a more mature way of phrasing that.

Basically, I don't really care if you don't like Twilight or Harry Potter (although then I'd faint, because WHO WOULDN'T LOVE HARRY POTTER?!) or any of the books I adore. You're entitled to your opinions. It doesn't make me mad at you or anything! I love meeting people with different views on things, because it can open up new doors for me.

But just because someone you dislike likes a book, that doesn't mean you should never try it. If the storyline of Twilight doesn't interest you, fine. But if you're not reading it because the girl you hate likes it, that's just wrong. Open up a little!
If my worst enemy liked the Catcher in the Rye, I still would have read it.

Think about it.

~Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment